A Kirkus STAR review!
Stein House paints a compelling family saga of German immigrants thrust into the bustling nineteenth century Texas seaport of Indianola. Helga Heinrich and her children arrive in Indianola haunted by the memory of Max's death and determined to start a new life.
A woman of strong passions, Helga operates Stein House for boarders of all stripes whose involvement in the rigors of a town on the edge of frontier influences and molds all their lives: the cruelties of yellow fever and slavery, the wrenching choices of Civil War and Reconstruction, murder, alcoholism and the devastation wrought by the hurricane of 1886.
STEIN HOUSE--2015 Winner Adult Fiction, North Texas Book Festival, Denton
STEIN HOUSE--2015 Finalist, Historical Fiction, International Book Awards
Questions for Book Club Discussion:
• What captured your imagination and made you keep reading Stein House OR what turned you off and resulted in you putting it aside?
• Did you identify with Helga or Amelia or any of the other characters? Why?
• Did you feel anger at any of the characters? What stirred that response?
• Did the time period 1853 to 1886 interest you? How about all the history, did it get in the way of the story?
• Did you learn some things about that time period that you did not know?
• What did you think of Helga’s parenting?
• Did you worry about any of the characters more than the others?
• Did the characters seem real to you?
• Did you see any parallels with our current times? What?
• How about the way Helga handled Paul’s increasing use of alcohol? Was it appropriate? Should she have done something differently?
• How about Helga’s response to Hermie’s amputation?
• Did the things that happened to the characters seem real, seem like they could have happened?
• How about Helga’s relationship with Eagle?
• Should Helga have given up Stein House and traveled with Eagle?
• What did you think of Helga’s lack of connection to the church? With her decision not to push the children to give to the church?
• Her papa was a pastor. Did she act like a pastor’s daughter?
• Would you like to know more about Amelia? How she ended up in Indianola and her life before Helga and the children arrived?
Did Amelia act as you expected after Dr. Stein disappeared in the 1875 storm?
Welcome to My Website!
My website is for sharing the Texas tales I love to tell. Please note that the cover of Stein House is sporting a First Place sticker for 2014 General Fiction from the Texas Association of Authors. I hope you will explore my musings--fact and fiction. And please contact me
Click on Lectures at the top of this page for a list of lectures, and you can also see my weekly historic Texas blog by clicking on Blog at the top of this page.
My book in progress, THE DOCTOR'S WIFE, is featured on @BookCountry! http://bit.ly/1w3Pevv
Stein House has received the Kirkus Star Review
. Read the review by clicking on the ICON on the left.
Legacy is set in 1945 in a Texas coastal town dealing with the last year of WWII. Twelve-year-old Miranda Harrison is caught in the turmoil, struggling to protect the people she loves, to understand the changes in her own body, and to make sense of a world at war.
Book Signings for